All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never prior to have many scientific breakthroughs and new techniques emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses countless individuals the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless method to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will be delighted with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by elegant advertisements about a specific laser center. Choose the physician, not the laser center. Discover who will in fact do your treatment, then ask about that physician's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Choose a physician who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician doesn't know can harm you.
Ask for details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. If your doctor will not inform you, find another one.
5. Ask exactly what steps are required to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterile operating space. Make certain that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized anchor prior to your eye laser surgery Get More Info to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as good as a discount parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the risk of receiving less than professional care!
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each patient. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of reference bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the eyesight of millions of people all over the world.